May 21, 2019

Sasha Koffer entrevista a... Nomad Stitches!

Hi! Well, I'm from Mexico, but I've been traveling and living a nomadic life for the last 12 years. I've finally settled in Bulgaria, where my husband and I bought a farmhouse house in the countryside and live with our 2 dogs. I am now expecting my first baby, which is super exciting, but also stressful since we need to get the house ready and I've been knitting her cute outfits like crazy! 

I love all things crafty and DIY like carpentry, gardening and sewing, but my specialty is crochet and knitting. I really enjoy being able to sit to watch TV and after go to bed with a new item for my wardrobe or house. 
I'd say that it's my superpower! 

¡Hola! Soy de México pero he estado viajando y viviendo como nómada los últimos 12 años. Finalmente me he asentado en Bulgaria, donde mi marido y yo hemos comprado una granja en el campo y donde vivimos con nuestros dos perros. Ahora estoy esperando la llegada de mi primer bebe, lo cual es muy emocionante pero muy estresante ya que tenemos que tener la casa lista y ¡he estado tejiendo modelos monos como una loca! Me encantan todas las cosas creativas y del movimiento ‘hazlo tu mismo’, jardinería y costura, pero especialmente el ganchillo y el punto. Me encanta sentarme a tejer delante de la tele y después irme a dormir con una nueva pieza en mi vestuario o en mi casa. ¡Yo diría que es mi superpoder!


You are lucky person - you do what you love! However, if not crocheting then what would you do?
Well, I wanted to be a therapist when I was younger and I have a degree in Psychology, but I didn't have the money or energy to continue with my studies. So I just became an English teacher and I do love teaching, especially young kids. My favorite age is 4-6, when you can play all day long and call it teaching. Also, you get to make a lot of crafts, and who doesn't love a little bit of finger painting!?

Eres una persona afortunada, ¡haces lo que te gusta! Sin embargo, si no fuera crochet, ¿qué te gustaría hacer? 
Bueno, yo quería ser terapeuta cuando era joven y tengo la carrera de Psicología, pero no tenía ni el dinero ni la energía para continuar con mis estudios. Así que terminé siendo profesora de Inglés y me encanta enseñar, especialmente a niños pequeños. Mi edad favorita va desde los 4 a los 6 años, cuando puedes jugar y llamarlo enseñar. Además puedes hacer muchísimas manualidades, porque, ¿a quien no le gusta la pintura de los dedos?


It seems that all your designs are inspired by nature. Who/what else inspires you in your work?
My travels inspire me a lot. The Trevi Top, for example, was conceived in my head on a trip to Rome. The lace from the HoiAn top reminded me of the lanterns all over the city of HoiAn from when I was traveling in Vietnam. The Vera Wild Vest was made when I was living in this desert town in the south of Spain called Vera. So yes, definitely nature and travels are the biggest themes in my creative process.

Parece que todos tus diseños estan inspirados por la naturaleza. Quien o que más te inspira en tu trabajo? 
Mis viajes me inspiran mucho. El Top Trevi por ejemplo, nació en mi cabeza en un viaje a Roma. El calado del Top HoiAn me recuerda a la linternas que había por toda la ciudad de Hoi An cuando viaje por Vietnam. El chaleco Vera Wild lo hice cuando estaba viviendo en una ciudad del desierto del sur de España llamada Vera. Así que si, definitivamente la naturaleza y los viajes son grandes temas en mi proceso creativo.


How much time do you invest in “Nomad stitches”? How does social media help you in developing your business?
I wish I could say it's not much work running a business, but the truth is that I'm ALWAYS working on my brand. Either thinking of new designs, doing math, crocheting and knitting, taking pictures or writing patterns and making charts. I swear sometimes I wake up doing maths in my head! It's annoying. And social media has definitely been the biggest driver for my business. I don't know how I would even go about advertising without it! I love it, but sometimes it does feel like it takes over my life, and not in a good way.

¿Cuánto tiempo dedicas a Nomad Stitches? ¿Cómo te ayudan las redes sociales para desarrollar tu negocio? 
Me gustaría decir que el llevar un negocio no es mucho trabajo, pero lo cierto es que yo estoy SIEMPRE trabajando en mi marca. Tanto como pensando en nuevos diseños, haciendo matemáticas, crocheteando o tejiendo, tomando fotos o escribiendo patrones y haciendo gráficos. ¡Juro que a veces me despierto haciendo matemáticas en mi cabeza! ¡Es supermolesto!

Respecto a las redes sociales, definitivamente han sido el mayor conductor de mi negocio. No se como lo hubiera anunciado sin ellas. Me encantan pero a veces siento que toman el control de mi vida y no en un buen sentido.


If only one color of yarn, which one do you choose?
Well, that's an impossible question to answer, but at the moment I'm a bit obsessed with dusty pink and mustard tones.

Si solo pudieras elegir un color de lana, cuál sería?
Esta pregunta es imposible de contestar!, pero ahora mismo estoy un poquito obsesionada con los rosas empolvados  y mostazas.


At this time, have all of your crochet dreams come true? What project is the most exciting for you in the future?
I can't say that all of my dreams have come true, but I have had some pretty big milestones. I've had a few patterns published in magazines (Happily Hooked Magazine, I like Crochet Magazine, The Sewing Box and a few others that haven't been released). I have collaborated with awesome yarn companies (Expression Fiber Arts and Darn Good Yarn). I'm so close to reaching 10k followers on Instagram! I've been able to basically live of this business and work very few teaching hours. But of course I have dreams and projects! I really want to work with other yarn companies and it's my dream to be published by Pom Pom Mag. I also really want to start dyeing yarn and work my way to sell kits. I would love to teach knitting and crochet in workshops. But all in time...

Hasta ahora, ¿dirías que todos tu sueños relacionados con crochet se han cumplido? Cual es el futuro proyecto que más te emociona? 
No puedo decir que todos mis sueños se han cumplido, pero si que he alcanzado grandes metas. Me han publicado varios patrones en revistas como Happily Hooked Magazine, I Like Crochet Magazine, The Sewing Box y otros que todavía no han salido a la luz. He colaborado con empresas de lana maravillosas como Expression Fiber Arts y Darn Good Yarn, y también estoy cerca de alcanzar los 10k en Instagram! Básicamente, me ha sido posible vivir de mi negocio y trabajar unas cuantas horas enseñando. Pero por supuesto tengo más sueños y proyectos! Me gustaría trabajar con más marcas de lana y me encantaría ver un patrón mio publicado en la revista Pom Pom Magazine. También quiero empezar a teñir lana y conseguir vender kits. Me encantaría enseñar a tejer y crochet en talleres, pero todo a su tiempo....

This interview was made by Sasha Koffer and translated by Laura Algarra

MORE CROCHATTING HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...